Friday, January 19, 2007

Felted doily



I am fascinated by doilies. I still remember the doilies on my parents' dressing and bedside tables, sqashed under a sheet of glass which I longed to take off so I could touch them. Especially the ones on the dressing table, a large round one in the middle, a smaller oval one on each side, featuring a lacy image of the cathedral in Cologne.

Doilies are pretty much obsolete now and heaps can be found in charity shops. I often get seduced into buying - I've got some heavily beaded ones, quite unusual. A friend sent me a really beautiful one with lots of different colours from New Zealand.

I also like felting them with merino wool - as the wool shrinks, the lacy structure of the doily gets trapped and bits appear on the surface like fossils.

There are some modern takes on the doily - cut-out of thick felt in deep colours (gallery shops, e.g. De La Warr Pavilion Bexhill), Ray Beldner (cut out and sewn banknotes), Hildur Bjarnadottir (crochet skulls).

2 Comments:

Blogger Judith Alder said...

Yes I like the way the doily is partly submerged in the felt with only some areas of it rising above the surface, a bit like the tops of partly submerged rocks, or islands rising out of the sea. And the whole thing undergoes a process of transformation through which it becomes and means something entirely different.

7:41 pm  
Blogger Arielle said...

I like how you reuse textiles having belonged to members of your family or bought in charity shops.

A statistic read in the Independent:
'one hundred million bin liners full of 'textile waste' (mostly discarded clothes) go into landfill in Britain every year'.

Hard to believe, but it must be true ...

4:45 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home