Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Fragment of cashmere cardigan with under arm mending



"I've kept his most loved cardigan. He had simple, almost monastic tastes. He hated clothes, especially new ones. He only got to love the cardigan as it grew old and threadbare, so I darned the holes and mended the ragged cuffs so it would last a little longer. He died soon after. The cardigan lies in my jumper drawer like a transitional object in reverse, reminding me of his permanent absence."

Judith Attfield, Wild Things: The material culture of Everyday Life, Berg, Oxford 2000, pp 149/150

3 Comments:

Blogger Arielle said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:40 am  
Blogger Arielle said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:48 am  
Blogger Arielle said...

Sorry Solveigh, I have been experimenting with how to add and remove comments, because the world of blogs is still new to me ...
Here is a new one which I found today in the book I am reading:

'Then I remembered, with a shock of long-past time, how years ago, before I travelled north in winter, Mouli and she had bought me one of the stiff quilted overcoats worn through the upheavals of the early Revolution. It had warmed me through my bitter journey to the end of the Great Wall, and it still hung gathering moths in my London flat, like a fragment of Chinese history, of crueller, more disruptive times ...'.

In "Shadow of the Silk Road'
Colin Thubron

4:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home