Monday, January 01, 2007



My friend Ana from Spain bought this skirt for her daughter at a car boot sale when she came to visit me in 2003. Ana and I both used to live in London and regularly went to markets to buy clothes for ourselves & our children - Brick Lane on Sunday mornings, Portobello on Fridays. In the 80s, lots of bargains could be found - three 60s dresses for a pound! We took huge bags and filled them - our duvets, blankets, table cloths, designer clothes were all from markets.

We prided ourselves on our good eye for colours, our feel for texture. We were poor, but always well dressed.

Most of my girl friends got their stuff from markets, charity shops and boot sales. When we had babies, we left the fathers at home with the kids on Sunday mornings & went on our shopping expeditions.

The skirt was a bit too tight for Ana's daughter, so they took the waistband off. Ana sent it to me because "it's such a lovely pattern - I'm sure you will be able to use it for something..."

3 Comments:

Blogger Arielle said...

Hello Solveigh.

I like reading your blogs.
The one I read this morning reminded me of my time spent buying or selling at fleemarkets or carboots sales.
I was always especially looking for velvety pieces of material. One day, I bought a big one which I have never used.
Thank you for sharing your work with us.

Arielle

10:59 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Dearest Solly,

I can only confirm Arielle's sentiments - great times were had by us all digging for those colourful fabrics...

Edith
P.S. The blog timer is 8 h behind, this message was posted at 20.45

8:44 pm  
Blogger Solveigh Goett said...

yes - isn't time a strange thing? Clock or otherwise?

1:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home