Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Pins



"The Pin Series

Because of the cyclical way in which I work, a series of related pieces will often span several years and this has been the case with the Pin Series.

The series started in 2001 with the development of the Pin Ritual performance. Originally I had a simple sculptural idea about making a piece of translucent cloth heavy with pins: I was interested in the idea of adding weight to something that might not be strong enough to hold it. However, this idea quickly developed into a performance piece, when I realised that the simple act of pinning gave people a safe space in which to talk. Something about the fact that I am working with my hands in such a familiar and soothing way encourages the sharing of tales, secrets, thoughts and memories."

http://kirstyhall.co.uk/galleries/pin/

1 Comments:

Blogger Kirsty said...

Ha, I started reading this, thought "hey cool, someone else is working with pins", then realised the quote was from me! Interestingly, I have some very similar photographs of pins through fabric taken when I first started doing tests with pins.

8:48 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home