Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Art



"I am for art that is smoked, like a cigarette, smells, like a pair of shoes.
I am for art that flaps like a flag, or helps blow noses, like a handkerchief.
I am for art that is put on and taken off, like pants, which develops holes, like socks, which is eaten, like a piece of pie, or abandoned with great contempt, like a piece of shit.[...]
I am for art that unfolds like a map, that you can squeeze like your sweetys arm or kiss, like a pet dog. Which expands and squeaks, like an accordion, which you can spill your dinner on, like an old tablecloth.
I am for an art that you can hammer with, stitch with, sew with, paste with, file with.[...]
I am for the art of the washing machine. I am for the art of a government check, I am for the art of last wars raincoat."

Claes Oldenburg, 'I Am for an Art...', in Harrison, Charles & Wood, Paul (eds) (1995), Art in Theory 1900 - 1990: An Anthology of Changing Ideas, Blackwell, Oxford/UK & Cambridge/USA, p.728, 729

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home