Thursday, March 22, 2007

Flowers on black



"I begin: the first memory.

This was of red and purple flowers on a black ground - my mother's dress; and she was sitting either in a train or in an omnibus and I was on her lap. I therefore saw the flowers she was wearing very close; and can still see purple and red and blue, I think, against the black; they must have been anemones, I suppose."

Virginia Woolf, A Sketch of the Past, in Virgina Woolf, Moments of Being (ed. Jeanne Schulkind), Grafton Books, London 1990, p.72

1 Comments:

Blogger Arielle said...

"Things that Arouse a Fond Memory of the Past:
To find a piece of deep violet or grape-coloured material that has been pressed between the pages of a notebook.

Elegant things:
A white coat worn over a violet waistcoat.

Squalid things:
The back of a piece of embroidery.
The seams of a fur robe that has not yet been lined."

Sei Shonagon
'The Pillow Book'
11th Century

3:05 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home