Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Striped skirt



"When we went on family holidays my mother used to wear a very brightly coloured cotton skirt. She never wore it at home. It was a lovely cool skirt, with many bright coloured stripes, which I remember her wearing on the beach. I can remember the feel of it when I held onto it while walking beside my mother, down a path from the caravan site to the beach. I think this is one of my earliest memories but it is very difficult to say how old I was. My mother had this skirt for many years. She wore it on many holidays and I was always very fond of this skirt."

Source: BBC Radio 4 Memory Experience
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/memory/

1 Comments:

Blogger Arielle said...

"To Cranach's contemporaries, striped clothing signalled that the wearer was a social outsider. Such outsiders included executioners, lepers, prostitutes, travelling jugglers and clowns. The 13th century Saxon code also named serfs, bastards and convicts as wearers of striped clothing. When Cranach wanted to identify individuals within his paintings as particularly inferior ... he often gave them striped stockings.
Striped clothing was unknown in medieval Europe; where it came from, and why it was condemned, has yet to be fully explained. Crusaders in Palestine probably encountered opponents wearing striped cloaks. Christian theologians viewed striped dress as worldly adornment and therefore damnable. In the 16th century, it was worn with pride only by mercenaries -but they, too, were social outsiders. Stripes as a way of marking people out from mainstream society has survived -in prison dress- right up to the present'.

"What Great Paintings Say"
Rose-Marie and Rainer Hagen

2:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home