Thursday, July 31, 2008

Bright yellow raincoat



"Wrapped around and covering me, the raincoat represented my mother's triumph over my own will, and persistently reminded me of my dependence on her. In a fundamental way that I didn't consciously acknowledge, the coat came to represent my mother, and I loved and resented it as I loved and resented her.

[...]

My theoretical and narrative constructions in science and art are the same sort of protective gear as the impermeable coat that I once wore to primary school; they hold nature at arm's length, close enough so that I can make sense of it, but far enough so that I won't be overwhelmed."

Matthew Belmonte, The Yellow Raincoat, in Turkle, Sherry (2007) (ed), Evocative Objects: Things We Think With, The MIT Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts and London, England, p. 72 & 74

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Glad you enjoyed the essay. (For me it was a welcome opportunity to write about something other than the science that occupies so much of my time!) -Matthew Belmonte

12:40 am  
Blogger Solveigh Goett said...

Such a lovely story. I have referred to it again in a conference paper - "The more art the more science" - Narrative Interpretations of Art (and Life) - that I am presenting at the Research into Practice Conference in London (31 October 2008) . If it gets published by any chance, I'll let you know.

12:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home