Monday, February 19, 2007

Fake grass



I am fascinated by fake grass. I used to live in converted servants' quarters on the roof of a block of flats in Mexico City for a while. The rooms had been converted on the cheap into overpriced appartments. To make the whole affair look pretty and distract the eye from the shabby workmanship, the floor between the appartments was covered in fake grass and some "Greek" statues were placed here and there. It was a strange world up there on the roof top.

Later I was thinking of covering my bathroom floor in fake grass, but never got around to it - maybe that was a good thing.

Once I tried to find some fake grass for an art project. This was before the days of the internet and finding a supplier proved more difficult than I thought. I tried greengrocers and shop fitting suppliers. Someone suggested I should try an undertaker, because they use a lot of it for burials.

In the end I found a small place in East London that catered for market traders and only opened from 5 to 10 am. I bought a couple of meters and it has come in handy for all sorts of things.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi!
im doing a project too and need some fake grass!
where was this place in the east end?

thanks,

scarlet

12:05 pm  
Blogger Solveigh Goett said...

This was some time ago, a small corner shop in Leyton, West of the High Street, somewhere near Grove Green Road, I think. Not sure whether it still exists as there have been major changes in that area with the building of the motorway extension.

7:55 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home